Wednesday, June 17, 2009

another milestone



Well Nathan has accomplished yet another milestone....riding his bike with no training wheels(sorry for the quality of video but this is him). Maybe he was feeling extra brave today because he had step up day and got to visit his school for kindergarten(more on that later) and he was feeling like such a big boy. Well whatever is was today was the day he was determined to ride his bike by himself without any assistance. He had to work me pretty hard this afternoon to even get to take his training wheels off, yet again, I can't tell you the multiple times they have come on and off and I was tired of playing mechanic. But he got me to do it. He worked for about a half hour without my assistance(because I don't have much patience for that stuff) but did not accomplish the task of riding alone, instead there was alot of whining and screaming when the bike was tipping. We took a break and then after dinner Paul brought him outside to try again and low and behold got him to do it with very little assistance. Of course I missed it and had to watch it when I arrived back home on video, well can't be around for everything I guess, man but boy do I try to. I look forward to watching him today because thank god its sunny for the second day in a row.

Today was also Step-Up Day for the Gorham schools....the kids that are in school get introduced to their teacher for the next school year...I know this does not happen at every school...I think I remember in NY that we did not find out the kids teacher until August right before the returned to school. So Kara for 5th grade found out that she will have Mrs. Donahue, she told them she was the oldest teacher in the school....another mom I know said she had her when she was in the 5th grade about 40 years ago...not sure how old she is but WOW I give her credit for teaching for that long. Kara was happy not only for the teacher but also her good friend Jamie is in her class as well.

Nathan got to go in today as well as an incoming Kindergartner...he did not find out who is teacher is because they don't decide on K until late in the summer. But he got to go in and see one of the K classes and meet one of the K teachers, they also had activities set up like puzzles, blocks and coloring. He happened to know a few of the kids from preschool so I think it helped to see some familiar faces. After we got to play on the BIG playground.

So today was a BIG Day for us all....my babies are growing up and are no longer babies:( I guess it had to happen sometime but why does it seem like it happened so quickly.

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Great video!!! Nathan looks so proud of himself!! Way to go, Nathan!!

Elizabeth said...

Hooray Nathan!

Miss Linda said...

YEAH Nathan ! How exciting !

Graduation from Preschool and riding a 2 wheeler !

:-)